Tuesday, March 2, 2010

International Tribunal on Crimes Against Women of Burma

Crime against humanity

I was sitting at home the whole day watching live webcast from New York City about Women's Tribunal of Burma. I was moved by the testimonies that twelve women presented in front of International judges. The stories they shared represent thousands of other untold stories from across Burma. Stories of fear, anguish, resistance, escape, perseverance and hope for change.

I feel that most of the abuses and violations happened to ethnic nationalities area and systematically targeted by the Burmese military regime. I was also encouraged by their braveries to tell their stories as one of the judges mentioned "It is not only hard to tell your personal story but also difficult to live in your whole life with it"

Our representative from Canada told a very moving story and I would like to highlights a few sentences here. "I am deeply concerned for the next generation of refugees. I wonder how they will tell their stories. We felt like strangers in someone else's country. And I am a refugee of a refugee's child." Tribunal Judges: We most strongly urge the UN Security Council to refer Burma to the International Criminal Court. Tribunal judge Shirin Ebadi: "Globalization can be effective only when it can stop the oppression of people" More information please visit http://www.nobelwomensinitiative.org/blogs/burmatribunal

No comments: